To explain why compostable food packaging is of such benefit to ourselves and our environment, we first need to look at conventional packaging.
There are two main issues surrounding the use of conventional biodegradable packaging with regards to recycling.
- Conventional Packaging uses a mix of materials with different recycling streams. Card, plastic, foil, films, foam. Many of these may be recyclable if kept separate, but the nature of foodservice packaging means that materials of different recycling streams are glued together.
- Foodservice packaging, by its very nature, is going to come into contact with food. Leftover food contaminates conventional takeaway packaging, making it difficult to recycle. The waste sector is keen to keep all food waste and food residues separate so as to reduce contamination and enable the creation of high-quality recycled materials.
COMPOSTABLE PACKAGING SOLVES ALL THE RECYCLING PROBLEMS ASSOCIATED WITH CONVENTIONAL PACKAGING FOR FOOD SERVICE. WHY?
It does not matter if the packaging is covered with sauce remains or even has leftover food in it – IT CAN ALL GO IN ONE BIN.
Although the products are made of mixed materials they are all completely compostable.
They all share the same recycling stream.
Here are some other benefits of using Down2Earth’s completely compostable food packaging:
- Compostable packaging and food waste is recycled into compost here in Ireland, supporting Irish jobs.
- All products can be put into the food waste bin together with food waste making it highly convenient.
- The ability to organically recycle food waste and its packaging all together eliminates consumer confusion regarding which bin to use. It all goes into one!
- Compostable packaging reduces the amount of waste going to landfill and incineration, both of which are more expensive per ton than food waste recycling.
Since our establishment in 2009, the Down2Earth team has been fully committed to providing Irish food and catering businesses with a fully compostable product range compliant with EN13432 (European Standard) and ASTM D6400 (American Standard). Our aim is to make environmentally sustainable packaging practical and economic.
For a look at our products please click here (Brochures can be downloaded from this page).
For a look at our services for our customers please click here.
Remember, we need to start thinking compostable, not conventional.
Please like and share if you are eco-aware.
Thanks for reading.