Certified compostable products will break down within a 180-day period.
But how long does it take for non-compostable items to break down??
According to our research the following is the estimated time for some everyday items that are all around us to decompose in landfill sites:
- Plastic bottles: 70-450 years
- Plastic bag: 500-1000 years
- Tin can: around 50 years
- Leather shoes: 25-40 years
- Thread: 3-4 months
- Cotton: 1-5 months
- Rope: 3-14 months
- Cigarette: 1-12 years
- Milk packet (tetra) covers and drink packets: 5 years
- Nylon clothes: 30-40 years
- Sanitary napkins & children diapers: 500-800 years
- Glass bottles: 1,000,000 years
- Hairspray bottle: 200-500 years
- Fishing line: 600 years.
- Glass bottle; 1-2 million years
- Aluminum can: 200 years
This list hammers home some truths and it just make us think more about our actions a little more.
This is why we need to start thinking compostable. All of Down2Earth’s products decompose into nutrient rich compost within 8-12 weeks. This compost is used to grow more plants, creating a closed loop cycle. By operating in this way, our products help divert waste from already overcrowded landfills.
To see some of our fully compostable food products on offer please click here
If you have any queries and would like to contact us please click here